Monday, July 5, 2010

Madrid



I was once before in Madrid. In 1983. I remember that I loved this city and was surprised at how strong my emotion was. I was curious to see if I would feel the same. I do. Without mishap and exactly as I had planned to, I arrived in Spain on time, intact and with my suitcase. It was early Sunday morning and I had time to take my suitcase to the Chamartin train station and have some desayuno before giving myself over to a lovely day of sight-seeing.

Above is a photograph of an equestrian statue of the 18th century Spanish king Carlos III. I took this photograph because there is also a statue of this same king (recognizeable by his enormous nose) in the plaza in Olvera Street in Los Angeles. The Spanish statue is in the Plaza de la Puerta del Sol in the heart of the old city in Madrid. He was king of Spain when Los Angeles was founded in his name in 1788.


No comments:

Post a Comment