Monday, July 5, 2010

Madrid - Part 3


I took a self-guided tour of the Palacio Real, built on the sight of the original royal residence/fortress, the Alcazar, after the original building burnt in the early 18th century. The palace (still referred to as "nuevo" despite its being completed in the 1760's) is very elegant.


It was a hot day, however, the large state rooms are not air-conditioned (well, not for the tourists, anyway) and I couldn´t help wonder what it was like to live in this great big house for the first 200 or so years of its existence. I wondered if the turbulence of Spain´s history beginning with Napoleon´s invasion and ending with Franco´s death wasn´t caused to some small degree by the sweltering conditions of the rooms in which her ruler, undoubtedly hot and bothered (and not in a good way), was called upon to make decisions that affected the fate of such a large and diverse population.







On the newer metro trains the cars aren´t separated and you can see from one end to the other.
Back in the Chamartin train station, I boarded the train for San Sebastian. I won´t see Madrid again on this trip and I left this city for which I feel such a strong affinity promising myself that I will not let another 27 years pass before I come back.

6 comments:

  1. I am certain that excessive heat has caused most of the wars and much of the ill will of the past 7 or so centuries. Let me be clear: heat and humidity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am wearing shorts the ENTIRE 3 weeks! Great pics and wonderful narrative...you should be teaching English! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jealous of the metro. Thanks for the great POV of the Palace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am loving each and every commentary..I, too, love Madrid and intend to return ( in the heat and humidity!!!) Anxious for the next installment....hugs, Lulu

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing this with us. its like being there with u.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so interesting. It seems you have a great time. It is still cool here, but in Europe it is very hot. You are in the middle of the soccer-fever. Congradts to Spain.

    Trudi

    ReplyDelete